Rear boot brace

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear boot brace

After some research and $37 I found a bar that works for a rear boot brace. There is a link for it below. I needed to cut 7/8" off of both ends of the bar and the same off of both clevis bolts. I have a metal chop saw so that was pretty easy to do. Installation took about 30 minutes. I needed to remove the amp to do it. Very easy to do. I also put lock washers inside the clevis clamp on both legs to keep them from rotating under stress. All the bolts are extremely tight. Seats still fold down as usual. I will take a test drive later. Who knows if I will notice anything different, but for $37 and a bit of my time it seemed worth the effort.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/For-92-00-C...X%3AIT&_trksid =p2057872.m2749.l2649

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2143.JPG Views:	4 Size:	221.1 KB ID:	4265Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2145.JPG Views:	4 Size:	233.4 KB ID:	4266
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_2141.JPG Views:	5 Size:	70.6 KB ID:	4264
    Last edited by lammie200; 01-25-2020, 11:08 PM.
    2017 Abarth Grigio Cenre SR | OEM 17s | Sprint Panel Filter | E+D Tune Phase l | TMC Autoflash | 4C CPs | MPx Exhaust | MPx MC Bracket | RRM Turbo Blanket | PCV Catch Can | 5mm/12mm Spacers | Neu-F Rear Bar | DNA Lower & Side Braces | 2" Steering Wheel Spacer

2013 Sport Argento SR - SOLD - | Many Mods

Good results IMHO.
    2017 Abarth Grigio Cenre SR | OEM 17s | Sprint Panel Filter | E+D Tune Phase l | TMC Autoflash | 4C CPs | MPx Exhaust | MPx MC Bracket | RRM Turbo Blanket | PCV Catch Can | 5mm/12mm Spacers | Neu-F Rear Bar | DNA Lower & Side Braces | 2" Steering Wheel Spacer

Comment

Looks good - Honestly I would purchase that just for the mounts and put my own bar in - I have made one for where the top of the seats used to mount - Thanks for the link

Comment

People poo-poo the fact that this bar sits low and shouldn't have any effect. Maybe I am imaging it, but it does seem to have an effect. The mounting points for this bar are very near the underbody mounting points for the rear axle assembly and the rear shock mounts. Yeah, there is sheet metal connecting it all, but I think that the bar stiffens the reaction between the two sides. I am really glad that I got this to fit. It also looks a lot better in real life than in the pics.

Comment

Originally posted by BecauseAbarth View Post
          Looks good - Honestly I would purchase that just for the mounts and put my own bar in - I have made one for where the top of the seats used to mount - Thanks for the link
          You will need both a tap and a reverse tap. The overall length is controlled by twisting the bar.

Comment

Originally posted by lammie200 View Post

You will need both a tap and a reverse tap. The overall length is controlled by twisting the bar.
            The last bar i made that is still being used, was made with swedged bars for suspension - super strong and have the threading and reversed threading on each side - and i used a cam buckle in the middle to tighten everything up-

Also on the school of thought that the bar is low and shouldn't really help - DNA makes a bar exactly like this for their European cars - So that's good enough for me, cause they seem to know what they are doing- any extra rigidity should always help

Comment

Originally posted by lammie200 View Post
              People poo-poo the fact that this bar sits low and shouldn't have any effect. Maybe I am imaging it, but it does seem to have an effect. The mounting points for this bar are very near the underbody mounting points for the rear axle assembly and the rear shock mounts. Yeah, there is sheet metal connecting it all, but I think that the bar stiffens the reaction between the two sides. I am really glad that I got this to fit. It also looks a lot better in real life than in the pics.
              I would think the lower the bar, the MORE effective it would be. Chassis flex is the enemy, not the body.
              Phase 0, 4C Coils, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter, Corza Forza Fazool Fizzle Fazzle

Comment

Originally posted by Mp3Guy View Post

I would think the lower the bar, the MORE effective it would be. Chassis flex is the enemy, not the body.
                Good Point - stiff chassis and active suspension has always been my train of thought, you want the suspension to do its job and not be hindered by a chassis moving against it.

Comment

I believe that this type of setup helps with the understeer that I was getting by coupling the front of the car better to the back of the car. Also, to make it more effective I rotated the bar so that the strong axis is perpendicular to the ground. The photos show it the other way. For $37 it is the biggest no-brainer in the history of mankind.

Be interesting to know if anyone else here tries this mod.
                  Last edited by lammie200; 01-31-2020, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X