Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does this look about right for 2015 Auto Abarth with E+D Phase 1?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does this look about right for 2015 Auto Abarth with E+D Phase 1?

First off, I know that our cars, modded or not, are not necessarily 0-60 nor 1/4 mile monsters. They are great for tracking, passing, keeping up, etc. and are fun in general, but they don't necessarily take home any awards from a standstill. I'd imagine, with mine being an automatic and me refusing to do any type of brake torquing, it's even worse. So I am not posting necessarily to compete with 0-60 or 1/4 mile times, but just trying to use it as a tool. So I figured that by capturing some times, I could (with some help) maybe determine if my performance is as expected based on my mods (in my signature) and transmission or if I need to look into something.

As such, I decided to use Dash Command and my OBDLink MX WiFi to capture some 1/4 mile times to use to compare and see if I am lacking and, if so, where. My car's temp gauge said it was around 80-82F outside. The local weather stations were saying more like 85-90F with a heat index of around 95-105F and humidity around 65%. Dash Command said my IAT was around 112-116F at highway speed cruising and coolant temp around 180-190F and my stock boost gauge (and the boost pressure on Dash Command) peg out at 22psi (if not just a fraction above) during my runs. I was driving in manual mode, no brake torquing (just lift off brake and mash gas as fast as possible). Attached to this post are screenshots of the results. Both times I trapped at 76MPH at the 1/8th mile mark and 93MPH at the 1/4 mile mark, 15.3s first time and 15.44s the second time (6 minutes between runs to allow car to cool down a bit).

As you can see, my second run I got off the line better but I probably didn't time my shift from 1st to 2nd as well. My 0-30 is faster on the second run but after that my first run was returning better times. Also, on my first run I think I shifted towards a little too soon around the 80-90 mark. I know 1st to 2nd is around 30MPH mark +/-. 2nd to 3rd is just shy of 60MPH, which always negatively effects getting a solid 0-60. I can't recall the other shift points but know I am in 4th by the end of the run. Also, interesting that it looks like it took a little over a second just to go from 90MPH to 93MPH. I will say that the car still wanted to pull quite well past the app recording the run, stopping shy of 100MPH. I kind wanted to keep going so I could capture the 0-100 time, but my non-populated test strip was running out of room

All said and done, I will say that I've tried capturing just regular 0-60 times in the past and I don't recall recording numbers as good as these. Of course, those times in the past I was trying to capture the times using video with limited success. But I have seen others in the past mentioning getting low 6's or mid-high 5's for 0-60s in their Abarth's similarly equipped (save for a manual vs auto and a down pipe). So not sure what to take away from that.
    2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Red Rosso, automatic)
    Alfa 4C Coil Packs
    ATM FMIC
    EuroCompusion Euro+Drive Tune (FT695 / Phase 1)
    EuroCompulsion v4.1 Intake
    EuroCompulsion/HPSI Silicone Vacuum Line Kit
    Forge Motorsports Recirculating Blow Off Valve
    Sila Concepts Thermal Blanket
    Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator

I want to add that I think my 1-2 shift on one of my runs may have been right at or just below fuel cut-off, hence the negative hit on my time.

I have always found it odd what the RPMs on my Dash Command reads versus what I am seeing on my car's display differ, more so towards the top end (the lower end only seems to differ by about 100 RPMs or so). What looks to be closer to 6,000 RPMs on the car's dash my Dash Command reads as being more like 6,500-6,600 RPMs. Same goes for if I am seeing 5,000 RPMs on the car's dash, my Dash Command might be registering closer to 5,500 RPMs. During my two runs, looking at my captured max values, my Dash Command shows a max RPM recording of 6,672 RPMS, yet I swear my car's dash barely touched the 6,000 RPM mark. Not sure if the extra 500-600 RPMs occurred due to a delay in the automatic shifting or what.

So I don't know if Dash Command is interpreting the value it gets via the OBDII port wrong or if my car's digital dash isn't displaying accurate information. Which should I trust?

Aside from these two tests, I rarely ever push it to the limiter (or even the redline, for that matter). I tend to shift around the 5,000-5,500 RPM mark at most, at least based on what the car's dash says, so as to keep the car within the meat of its torque band.
    Last edited by VirtualMirage; 10-04-2018, 06:13 PM.
    Alfa 4C Coil Packs
    ATM FMIC

Comment

So I found an older Car and Driver road test of a stock 2015 Abarth 500c automatic and I am looking at their test sheet data. Now, if they test like Motor Trend does, then they must be using the brake torque technique which will help with the launch and improve their numbers. They did their test in the winter, so they also have colder temps in their favor and lower humidity too (their temps were 39F dry bulb temp, 29F wet bulb temp, with 22% humidity), nearly 41-50F cooler and lower humidity too than what I was driving in . Keeping that information in mind:

They managed the 1/4 mile in 15.4s at 90MPH, with a 0-60 in 6.9s. So a 3MPH slower trap speed than me, but about the same 0-60MPH. 0-40 they are faster. By 50MPH the cars are about even, same goes for the 60MPH mark. By 70MPH my car starts to inch ahead with better times. By 90MPH, my car is a little over 1.2s faster. That's quite a reversal compared to how they started.

Now, granted, they are driving a slightly heavier 500c, but my car has the larger wheels/tires along with cargo and my fat ass. Seeing how much my car picks up on the top end against their tests leads me to believe that I am leaving some power/speed on the table by not getting a good launch along with the higher temps (and probably a bad shift to add to that).

I remember reading somewhere someone said that our car really lives in the 45-90MPH area. That's where you are really going to notice the power and its potential. Comparing my results C&D's and seeing where in the 1/4 mile the tides start to turn in my favor, I'd say that is pretty true.
      Alfa 4C Coil Packs
      ATM FMIC

Comment

I guess it would have helped if I linked to the article and the test data sheet.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...ic-test-review

https://s3.amazonaws.com/amv-prod-ca...00c-abarth.pdf
        Alfa 4C Coil Packs
        ATM FMIC

Comment

Because I was bored, here’s the data charted out in Excel.

I listed my two runs as well as Car and Driver’s. I then compared the difference between the runs, recorded that data, and color coded it (green for better than, red for worse than). I also compared acceleration numbers in 10 MPH increments to gauge where the improvements are being put down to help determine what is from power being put down versus technique (or lack there of). I also charted out the 1/4 mile runs against each other and color coded the chart based on the estimated peak MPH for each gear to help guesstimate what gear the car is in throughout the run.

Unless I am interpreting it wrong, the results appear to show that my lackluster run really comes down to poor launching (and temps), resulting in poorer 0-40 times. But from 40-90, I am making up what I think is a decent amount of time, save for the 2nd to 3rd shift point. Shame Car and Driver only starts their 0 to X times at 30MPH instead of 10 MPH, that extra data could have been useful.
          Alfa 4C Coil Packs
          ATM FMIC

Comment

Are you standardizing your qtr mile times?

Comment

Maybe it’s my lack of sleep, but can you elaborate?

I know I test in the exact same place every time. It’s flat, straight, and very low elevation (less than 50’ above sea level). There was little to no wind during testing.
              Last edited by VirtualMirage; 10-07-2018, 08:17 AM.
              Alfa 4C Coil Packs
              ATM FMIC

Comment

Ok, I think I might know what you mean now. I’m pretty certain that Car and Driver’s times have already have correction factored in.

I found a site that has a 1/4 mile time correction calculator. I plugged in the values for that and got the following:

Run 1: 15.182 @ 93.727 MPH
                Run 2: 15.321 @ 93.727 MPH

Of course, that still doesn’t account for a poor launch and a bad shift. Lol
                Alfa 4C Coil Packs
                ATM FMIC

Comment

You're bang on for Phase 1.

Comment

Originally posted by VirtualMirage View Post
                    Ok, I think I might know what you mean now. I’m pretty certain that Car and Driver’s times have already have correction factored in.

I found a site that has a 1/4 mile time correction calculator. I plugged in the values for that and got the following:

Run 1: 15.182 @ 93.727 MPH
                    Run 2: 15.321 @ 93.727 MPH

Of course, that still doesn’t account for a poor launch and a bad shift. Lol
                    Do you know the elevation in which Car & Driver did their test? That would be another factor, also humidity, fuel used, tires etc.
                    2015 Fiat Abarth 500
                    ​​​​​​TaVo Car Addiction
                    Follow me on:
                    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJi...woXzeGCUMGyO-g
                    Instagram: @tavo_car_addiction

Comment

Car and Driver uses correction factors for their times to offset for temp, humidity, elevation, etc. Pretty much all the information you are asking about is listed in the linked performance sheet in my earlier post. Elevation is the only thing I don’t see, but that can be factored with the other numbers they provide. They also use more aggressive launch techniques than I would use, brake torquing in this case.
                      Alfa 4C Coil Packs
                      ATM FMIC

Comment

Working...
                      X