Mishimoto Abarth radiator hoses install DYI

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mishimoto Abarth radiator hoses install DYI

Bought the Mishimoto Silicone Radiator Hose Kit for my Abarth as it has been to the dealer 4x for low coolant levels. Last time they replaced the reservoir tank, pressurized the system and within a week or two it was back down below the min level.

This was pretty easy to do but haven't seen really any info online.

1.Purchased the kit.

2.Let car cool down if warm.

3.Removed front bumper cover many online articles on this. (I removed the wheel liners as it was easier to remove the front bumper cover. You don't have to do this)

4. Drain fluid from radiator. Surprisingly not much came out. Also use a some type of spout or hose to funnel the coolant into your drip pan. I used some extra hose kicking around.
    4a. You see this on the bottom of your radiator on the drivers side.

5. Remove battery, battery tray + CPU to access to where the hose connects to the engine block. Remove cold air intake inlet side.

6. Cut steel hose clamps and remove old rubber hoses on drivers side. Becarful not to pull too hard as the radiator is made from plastic.

7. Replace with new hose and worm-gear clamps provided with kit. Don't tighten too tight again because of plastic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0119.JPEG
Views:	61
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	1978

Name:	IMG_0125.JPEG
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	1982
    8. Remove clamps and hose from passenger side. More sure you remove the hose that connects to the bottom of the reservoir tank. It's tight but it comes out.

9. Replace with new hose and worm-gear clamps.

Name:	IMG_0121.JPEG
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	1979

Name:	IMG_0122.JPEG
Views:	60
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	1980

Name:	IMG_0123.JPEG
Views:	59
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1981

10. Close up drain plug on bottom or radiator.

11. Pour in new 50/50 Coolant and Distilled water slowly until full.

12. Open burp plug on top of radiator to let out any trapped air (some coolant will leak out so be ready to close back up).

13. Clean up any coolant that was spilt.

14. Put battery tray, battery and intake back on and hook everything back up.

15. Start car and let it get up to running temp. Check for leaks. (Luckily I didn't have any).

16. Put bumper, wheel liners, wheels... back on.

Top off with coolant after car cools down if needed.

Hope this helps someone.

Kevin
    Don’t let rubber infest your Fiat. Upgrade your Fiat 500 radiator hoses with Mishimoto 2012+ Fiat 500 Abarth radiator hoses for increased style and reliability. These Fiat radiator hoses will have no problem standing up to the heat of that compact 1.4L tu

What it looks like after instal. You can see a little bit by the battery.

Name:	IMG_0126.JPEG
Views:	62
Size:	110.4 KB
ID:	1984

Comment

I like to do a bleed procedure after this as well, getting the car up to temp and holding at 3500RPM for 30 seconds with the heat on. Ensures no air is trapped behind the thermostat for example. It's also worth mentioning that the drain plug is extremely tight and annoying if you don't use the right technique. I fought with mine for like an hour. Have to twist AND pull at the same time. Simply twisting first and then trying to pull it out is futile. It also goes back in the same way, twist and push.

Comment

Originally posted by ice445 View Post
        It's also worth mentioning that the drain plug is extremely tight and annoying if you don't use the right technique. I fought with mine for like an hour. Have to twist AND pull at the same time. Simply twisting first and then trying to pull it out is futile. It also goes back in the same way, twist and push.
        It is difficult to pull and push as it is a very tight spot. I used a small adjustable wrench to help to get a grip on the drain plug with one hand and pushed and pulled with the other. I had to work it (twist it back and forth a few dozen times) until it caught the thread to put back on. I took my time as I didn't want to break/strip anything.

Comment

When I have installed these, I simply just remove the passenger side hose that is connected to the radiator and let it drain into a pan. I agree the drain plug is a pain so I do it this way. Nice write up!

Comment

Working...
          X