Turbosmart Actuator Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbosmart Actuator Installation

Click image for larger version  Name:	38018065_10156797792758470_2283258748321398784_n.jpg Views:	1 Size:	109.1 KB ID:	1235

Installation of the Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator is straightforward, but there are a few tips and tricks that will make it go more smoothly. I created the video below to address most of them. The two most important items to get right are the preload and resetting the ECU after you've finished. Please give this a watch before attempting the install.

Since creating this video there are some additional items I wanted to address. There is sometimes confusion around the banjo fitting, how tight it should be and what to do in case of a leak. Put simply, the banjo seals by using a series of 3 o rings. The outer most o ring that goes against the actuator body is the one that is most often damaged by over tightening during installation. You shouldn't be cranking down on this fitting like a lug bolt. The o ring is meant to seal air pressure inside of the can, and by over tightening it the o ring flattens and leaks. Use of a small 1/4" ratchet or stubby hand wrench is recommended.

An official responsefrom Turbosmart:

We do not have a specific torque spec for that banjo bolt, but the general idea is that when tightened properly there should be a fair amount of resistance to rotate the nipple itself because of the pressure being applied on the o-ring at the base. If the air fitting rotates freely, then it is not tightened enough. You should need a small amount of force in order to get that fitting to rotate (ideally the fitting would be aligned properly before tightening).
    -credit to VirtualMirage for the response from Turbosmart

Below is a picture of the banjo fitting and how the o rings look when new.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Banjo.jpg Views:	1 Size:	45.7 KB ID:	1230

There are 2 different size o rings used on this fitting. In the event the banjo needs to be serviced you can get o rings for this just about anywhere that sells hardware. They literally cost pennies, so grab yourself a few to have as spares for peace of mind. I use 2 - 7mm x 2mm and 1 - 8mm x 2mm o rings to rebuild the fitting. The outermost o ring is often the only one that will require replacement. That o ring is 7mm x 2mm. If you remove your banjo fitting and the o ring is no longer round, it needs to be replaced. Below is a picture of a customers fitting. You'll notice that it has been crushed flat and no longer hold it's shape. This was caused by tightening the banjo down so hard that the fitting no longer rotated.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Crushed.jpg Views:	1 Size:	53.6 KB ID:	1231

Additionally, I have been asked a handful of times if increasing the preload on the actuator is necessary or if increasing it can be used to alleviate other issues. The answer is NO. There is never a scenario where you should be using any preload setting other than the recommended 2mm. Get the preload right, and ensure the banjo isn't leaking. That's it.

Should any additional items of concern come up, I will update this thread accordingly. And of course, please feel free to ask any questions you may have here and I will respond.

I'd like to thank the community once again for all of the support and enthusiasm you've shown for this product. Without any of you, this little project of mine never would have taken off the way it did. I appreciate every single one of you!

GET YOURS HERE: https://shopeurocompulsion.net/colle...arth-fiat-500t
    Last edited by mneuman916; 04-17-2019, 01:33 PM.

Thanks for posting these instructions!

Comment

I think it would be worthwhile to explain how to adjust the preload in this thread to that 2mm as well

Comment

Originally posted by bsd103 View Post
        I think it would be worthwhile to explain how to adjust the preload in this thread to that 2mm as well
        It's included in the video, and much easier to understand that way.

Comment

I have to say I sure appreciated the video instructions! Had boost problems for a long time, and tried fiddling with so many other things - like FMIC, plugs - until checking the Turbosmart. Many, many thanks!

Comment

How are you (or any of you who are running this mod) liking it so far? I'm thinking about ordering this.

Comment

Originally posted by viktahhhh View Post
              How are you (or any of you who are running this mod) liking it so far? I'm thinking about ordering this.
              Everyone who has ordered one of these has loved it. It's been an extremely popular product for good reason.

Click the link... you know you wanna. lol https://shopeurocompulsion.net/colle...arth-fiat-500t

Comment

Originally posted by mneuman916 View Post

Everyone who has ordered one of these has loved it. It's been an extremely popular product for good reason.

Click the link... you know you wanna. lol https://shopeurocompulsion.net/colle...arth-fiat-500t
                FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!!!

Comment

How does this compare to the Forge WGA?
                  2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Euro+Drive Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | Full GWR exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods

Comment

The biggest advantage over the Forge is that the preload is easier to set.

Comment

I've had mine installed for around 6-7 months now and I have been happy with it. Install was very easy and getting the preload right is a no brainer. I'm not a big fan of the banjo fitting, but that's just personal preference and not a knock on it's ability to perform. I eventually swapped out the banjo fitting with a straight nipple that I ordered directly from TurboSmart (it was a new option at the time, so not widely available). Swapping out the nipple was super easy.
                      2015 Fiat 500 Abarth (Red Rosso, automatic)
                      Alfa 4C Coil Packs
                      ATM FMIC
                      EuroCompusion Euro+Drive Tune (FT695 / Phase 1)
                      EuroCompulsion v4.1 Intake
                      EuroCompulsion/HPSI Silicone Vacuum Line Kit
                      Forge Motorsports Recirculating Blow Off Valve
                      Sila Concepts Thermal Blanket
                      Turbosmart Wastegate Actuator

Comment

The biggest advantage over the Forge is that the preload is easier to set.
                        Thanks, could you elaborate? I have the Forge unit, but I'm not familiar with the Turbosmart.
                        2017 FIAT 124 Spider Lusso | EC Euro+Drive Phase 2 | EC V4 intake | EC intercooler | Full GWR exhaust with SportCat | Forge wastegate actuator | GFB DV+ | PTP Lava turbo blanket | Speedhut boost and IAT gauges | Cravenspeed gauge vent pods

Comment

Originally posted by sharkcohen View Post

Thanks, could you elaborate? I have the Forge unit, but I'm not familiar with the Turbosmart.
                          The Forge unit requires air pressure and a bit of finesse to set the preload properly. There are apparently two versions of the Forge actuator out there, and one is more finicky than the other.

The Turbosmart is set very simply with 2mm of physical preload from zero as demonstrated in the install video above. That's it.

With that being said, if you have a correctly set Forge and you're not having issues with it, there's little reason to switch.

Comment

The Forge unit requires air pressure and a bit of finesse to set the preload properly. There are apparently two versions of the Forge actuator out there, and one is more finicky than the other.

The Turbosmart is set very simply with 2mm of physical preload from zero as demonstrated in the install video above. That's it.

With that being said, if you have a correctly set Forge and you're not having issues with it, there's little reason to switch.
                            Thanks. I hadn’t yet had a chance to watch your video, I’ll check it out.

Comment

Just bought it.... asshat.

Comment

Working...
                              X