Android single din HU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Android single din HU

Took the plunge and bought a Joying 8.8 HU from China 5 months ago and finally had time to install. So far I am very happy with the results. The HU has Apple CarPlay installed and I was able to get the SWC to work.

Here is a list of what I used
    Joying 8.8 PX5 Head Unit
    XSVI-6515-NAV Fiat 500 2012-2015 Accessory and NAV output CAN interface
    ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface
    Metra Single Din Dash Kit
    Metra Euro Antena Kit

Everything went together pretty well and quick. I soldered the harness and that took most of the time.

It's not perfect but much better then stock and now to have navigation (apple maps, google maps and waze) is priceless

Here are some photos

Comment

I’m really digging this. We are working on exterior on our NGEN Abarth and then considering audio upgrades.

Comment

Were you able to get the steering wheel controls to function with the unit?

We have the Parrot system from the 4C installed into our 500 abarth. Huge improvement over the factory system.
        EUROCOMPULSION - PERFORMANCE ABARTH, FIAT & ALFA PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by Chris@Eurocompulsion View Post
          Were you able to get the steering wheel controls to function with the unit?
          Not all of the buttons work.

what works:
          volume up
          volume down
          mute
          ”say a command” have mapped to the home button
          next track

What doesnt work:
          phone buttons
          previous track and source buttons are all recognized as the same resistance as next track and phone buttons.
          What ever the button between the volume up and down rocker is also is picked up the same as mute (I think is great to have mute next to the volume).

this works for me as I mostly use CarPlay and I just use the touch screen for most things. Really wanted to get volume controls to work and the home button as that makes navigating so easy.

I played around with switching the head unit type but the Sony default seams to work the best for me.

I still have a canbus arduino board that I may play with to do some additional things but out of the box this was good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by kevkranker View Post

Not all of the buttons work.

what works:
            volume up
            volume down
            mute
            ”say a command” have mapped to the home button
            next track

What doesnt work:
            phone buttons
            previous track and source buttons are all recognized as the same resistance as next track and phone buttons.
            What ever the button between the volume up and down rocker is also is picked up the same as mute (I think is great to have mute next to the volume).

this works for me as I mostly use CarPlay and I just use the touch screen for most things. Really wanted to get volume controls to work and the home button as that makes navigating so easy.

I played around with switching the head unit type but the Sony default seams to work the best for me.

I still have a canbus arduino board that I may play with to do some additional things but out of the box this was good enough.

That's not bad at all!
            EUROCOMPULSION - PERFORMANCE ABARTH, FIAT & ALFA PARTS

Comment

Was thinking of doing the same thing, but with a 6.2" screen. That's big enough for me, and it doesn't obstruct the vents as much. It's also cheap and easy to install. Thing that bugs me about installing a true double din is the vent cutting, rerouting and the dash kits from Schosche and others seem to be a crappy build. The screen mounting system is pretty smart- you simply screw in the receptacles for the mounting pegs on the unit, up or down.
              Alpine built a single din unit with a 9" screen, which is too big for our cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joying.png
Views:	31
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	3181
              Phase 0, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter

Comment

Originally posted by Mp3Guy View Post
                Was thinking of doing the same thing, but with a 6.2" screen. That's big enough for me, and it doesn't obstruct the vents as much. It's also cheap and easy to install. Thing that bugs me about installing a true double din is the vent cutting, rerouting and the dash kits from Schosche and others seem to be a crappy build. The screen mounting system is pretty smart- you simply screw in the receptacles for the mounting pegs on the unit, up or down.
                Alpine built a single din unit with a 9" screen, which is too big for our cars.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Joying.png
Views:	31
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	3181
                This isn't how I went with Mad Fiat, only because these units weren't available at the time. I did a full double din conversion with a bit of custom fitting. This 6.2" unit is how I would do it now, however.

Comment

How did you find the A/C with the double din? Less effective or about the same as stock?

Comment

Originally posted by kevkranker View Post
                    Took the plunge and bought a Joying 8.8 HU from China 5 months ago and finally had time to install. So far I am very happy with the results. The HU has Apple CarPlay installed and I was able to get the SWC to work.

Here is a list of what I used
                    Joying 8.8 PX5 Head Unit
                    XSVI-6515-NAV Fiat 500 2012-2015 Accessory and NAV output CAN interface
                    ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Interface
                    Metra Single Din Dash Kit
                    Metra Euro Antena Kit

Everything went together pretty well and quick. I soldered the harness and that took most of the time.

It's not perfect but much better then stock and now to have navigation (apple maps, google maps and waze) is priceless

Question- did the ASWC Steering Wheel Interface self detect, or did you have to program it manually?

Comment

Working...
                    X