LED DRLs for the 500

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LED DRLs for the 500

On a few message boards, I've noticed people have tried to fit LEDs into the DRLs of our Fiats, and all of them have come up with error messages, so they went back to stock.

This fellow, who is modding a 500e, claims this Sylvania bulb will work, and he confirmed it months after he installed them.

Note that there are TWO Sylvania products with the same part #, 7443, but it's obvious the bulbs are different. (Move to 2:11 to see)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAcmia4DNlU&t=695s

I might give these a shot. Aside from the better lighting, I find the LED bulbs immediately make your car look like it's a fresh model. Anything with halogens is ancient history now.
    Phase 0, 4C Coils, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter

Let me know if you find the and try the style 2 drl's - they seem to be hard to find in bright white - keep coming across them in amber and red - also since that video seems like Sylvania has updated their "styles" again with different shaped bulbs - I have tried 2 different LED drl's bulbs and have failed to get them to light up at all. Would be nice to find some that actually work worth a damn

Comment

Originally posted by BecauseAbarth View Post
      Let me know if you find the and try the style 2 drl's - they seem to be hard to find in bright white - keep coming across them in amber and red - also since that video seems like Sylvania has updated their "styles" again with different shaped bulbs - I have tried 2 different LED drl's bulbs and have failed to get them to light up at all. Would be nice to find some that actually work worth a damn
      Osram Sylvania responds:

"
      Taylor Flynn (OSRAM SYLVANIA)

Thank you for contacting us with your inquiry. The 7443 LED are not CANbus compliant, however if you are to experience any issues after installing our LEDs we do offer our Sylvania Load Equalizer which will allow the LEDs to operate error free. The Load Equalizer will consume enough power to mimic the power draw of an incandescent bulb, eliminating the warning. The Load Equalizer easily clamps into the existing wiring harness, and must be connected between the power and ground wires; no cutting or splicing of wires is required. In addition, the Load Equalizer must then be attached to a flat metal surface. The Sylvania Load Equalizer can be purchased at any of our Authorized Retailers.

If you have any further questions about our LED products or our Load Equalizer, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Thank You
      Taylor
      I'm going to research this a bit more before I do anything. Stay tuned

Comment

Sounds like they basically sell a 6ohm 50w wire wound resistor per bulb to draw as much juice as the stock bulb so the CANbus doesn't think there's a bulb-out condition. I think it's silly that in order to use more-efficient LEDs that only draw one watt apiece on the CANbus system designed for filament bulbs, we have to add resistors that do zero useful work. Basically, we have to draw an additional 48 watts and dissipate it purely as heat to make the computer happy.

There's no simple workaround for this if the CANbus demands we draw 25W per DRL, short of reprogramming the CANbus. The same kind of solution exists for running the LED European tail light housings...a wiring harness adapter full of power resistors.

I'd almost be tempted to replace the DRL housings with a pair of 25W LED rally light pods since at least you'd be getting 25W of useful lighting, or run electric fans, or a small blender for making margaritas...something!
        2015 Nero Abarth, manual gearbox, base model
        Play-hard parts: EC V4.1, DNA lateral subframe braces, DNA subframe brace, GFB DV+, Alfa Romeo 4C coils, ATM FMIC EC E+D PH2/695TF, O.Z. Racing Allegeritta HLT 16" w/ 205/45R16 Continental ExtremeContact Sport, Bilstein B8 & Vogtland @ R. slotted Stoptech & Hawk ceramic @ F/R.

Misc parts: Braille B2015, AAD AOS, Wink rally mirror, Scangauge II, PTP blanket, Ecliptech Shift P2+, Defi boost gauge, H3R 2.5lb halon
        Next purchase: wastegate update

Comment

Originally posted by VisualKei View Post
          Sounds like they basically sell a 6ohm 50w wire wound resistor per bulb to draw as much juice as the stock bulb so the CANbus doesn't think there's a bulb-out condition. I think it's silly that in order to use more-efficient LEDs that only draw one watt apiece on the CANbus system designed for filament bulbs, we have to add resistors that do zero useful work. Basically, we have to draw an additional 48 watts and dissipate it purely as heat to make the computer happy.

There's no simple workaround for this if the CANbus demands we draw 25W per DRL, short of reprogramming the CANbus. The same kind of solution exists for running the LED European tail light housings...a wiring harness adapter full of power resistors.

I'd almost be tempted to replace the DRL housings with a pair of 25W LED rally light pods since at least you'd be getting 25W of useful lighting, or run electric fans, or a small blender for making margaritas...something!
          I'm still sniffing out alternatives- will advise.

Comment

OK, this is from Diode Dynamics- they have a few choices in the 7443 style bulb type that fit, but once again, you need a resistor.

"If the bulb is a 7443, any of our 7443 size models will work (HP48, HP11, or XP80). That being said, you may need to add a resistor to that circuit in order to prevent against bulb out warnings."

Looks like there is no dedicated CANbus compliant 7443 bulb being made by anyone today, so if I try it this will be the ONLY way to go.

Comment

If you are trying to avoid resistors, you would want to try the 7443 & 7444 with Built in Canbus circuitry. I use the Lasfit Canbus Error-Free T10's for my Side Markers and Side Turning Signals, but have not gone down the LED path on any of my fronts/rears/interior, although I hear interior lights are not tied into the Canbus system

Comment

Just asked the company if they will work with our cars. Pays to be sure since quite a few people trying this have given up.

Thanks for the tip.

Comment

OK, for shits and giggles, I ordered a pair. Not cheap, but we'll see if they work. The seller believes there is a good chance that they will.

Comment

OK, I tried them. No dice. The driver's side DRL goes on and off and the EVIC gives you a warning. They worked for a few minutes and they looked great- nice clean light. Thought this bulb set would solve the problem, but no go.

Contacted the seller for a possible solution. Oddly, this bulb works with almost all recent FCA vehicles with CANbus circuitry.

Comment

Update: drove this evening with the headlights on, not realizing that even if the "daytime lights" are set to "off" they still come on along with the headlights.

They look great! Just can't use them as DAYTIME running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Mp3Guy View Post
                        OK, I tried them. No dice. The driver's side DRL goes on and off and the EVIC gives you a warning. They worked for a few minutes and they looked great- nice clean light. Thought this bulb set would solve the problem, but no go.

Contacted the seller for a possible solution. Oddly, this bulb works with almost all recent FCA vehicles with CANbus circuitry.
                        Which ones were these?

Comment

Originally posted by Mangavideo View Post

Which ones were these?

Hello ,
                          Thank you very much for contacting us with your questions.

We have not tested any bulbs on this vehicle, so I am unable to give you a strait answer.

But, if any bulb is going to work it would be this one:

https://gtrlighting.com/gtr-lighting...ulbs-ck-style/

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with?
                          Thank you very much
                          --Anthony

"Not just the brightest - but also the easiest! In the past you had to wire in resistors to your turn signal bulb circuits in order to trick the computer into thinking that your LED bulbs were the same thing as your old dim bulbs. Not anymore! The new Carbide Series 2.0 bulbs have a built-in CANBUS-integration circuit that works with 95% of all cars, trucks, and motorcycles on the road today! Gone are the days of wiring in resistors, or replacing flasher modules. These new LED bulbs are truly plug and play, and one of the brightest and most reliable options around."

Click image for larger version

Name:	DTRL.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	3631
                          Last edited by Mp3Guy; Today, 11:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X