Rear window wiper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear window wiper

My first gremlin popped up. The damn rear wiper won't shut off. I removed the connection at the motor and ordered a delete kit. Just wondering if anyone knows where the relay for the motor is?
    2017 Abarth Grigio Cenre SR | OEM 17s | Sprint Panel Filter | E+D Tune Phase l | TMC Autoflash | 4C CPs | MPx Exhaust | MPx MC Bracket | RRM Turbo Blanket | PCV Catch Can | 5mm/12mm Spacers | Neu-F Rear Bar | DNA Lower & Side Braces | 2" Steering Wheel Spacer

2013 Sport Argento SR - SOLD - | Many Mods

The thing runs when the car is put in reverse and the front wipers are on. Could be some sort of faulty microswitch for that?
    Phase 0, 4C Coils, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter, Corza Forza Fazool Fizzle Fazzle

Comment

Yeah, it worked like that until a couple days ago. Now it will run all the time regardless of forward, reverse, or if engaged with the stalk. The stalk just operates the washer now. I tried a battery reset and that didn’t work. I can’t find a part no. for a relay and think that it may be embedded in the BCM. I suppose that it also could be in the motor module itself, but I don’t want to buy a new motor just to try that out. I am happy to remove the arm, motor, etc. Just don’t want any other gremlins to surface. Fingers crossed.
      Last edited by lammie200; 11-28-2019, 09:58 PM.
      2017 Abarth Grigio Cenre SR | OEM 17s | Sprint Panel Filter | E+D Tune Phase l | TMC Autoflash | 4C CPs | MPx Exhaust | MPx MC Bracket | RRM Turbo Blanket | PCV Catch Can | 5mm/12mm Spacers | Neu-F Rear Bar | DNA Lower & Side Braces | 2" Steering Wheel Spacer

Comment

I doubt it's the motor, that seems to be working fine. Whatever is switching the power is obviously not happy, I hope that's not the BCM. Did you check the wiring in the hatch, in that rubber sleeve where it gets crimped. Maybe you have a short there.

Comment

This would be my first suspect
          Click image for larger version

Name:	50A3F3F9-38AC-4E1D-9871-35A685E35876.jpeg
Views:	19
Size:	3.14 MB
ID:	4180
          Attached Files
          13' Abarth

Comment

Yeah, the body shop that I took it to after I was sandwiched warned me about using the lift gate. They said that they had seen failures in that boot before and told me not to operate the lift gate. Kinda impractical. The problem could be there, but I don't know why it would be getting power to that point. Theoretically there is no power being sent to that point if the lights aren't on, the brake isn't depressed, it isn't in reverse, etc. As soon as I turn the key the wiper is flopping. Oh, and the connection to the motor looked fine. In the old days it would be either the relay or the switch.

Just a thought. It could be getting power from the light in the trunk area. That must be operated by a switch on the gate somewhere, although it isn't malfunctioning.
            Last edited by lammie200; 12-03-2019, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Relay is in the BCM- but the park switch in the motor could be the culprit as well.

"The rear wiper motor operation is controlled by the Body Control Module (BCM), which uses relays soldered
              onto the BCM printed circuit board to control rear wiper system operation for energizing or de-energizing the
              rear wiper motor.
              The BCM uses internal programming, hard wired inputs received from the right (wiper)
              multi-function switch and the rear wiper motor park switch as well as electronic messages received over the
              Controller Area Network (CAN) data bus to provide the rear wiper and washer system operating modes.

The rear wiper motor park switch is a single pole, single throw, momentary switch within the wiper motor that
              is mechanically actuated by the wiper motor transmission components. The park switch alternately closes and
              opens a voltage signal for the rear wiper motor electronic control logic circuitry of the BCM. The park switch is
              normally an open circuit when the rear wiper blade is in the parked position, and is connected to fused ignition
              output when the rear wiper blade is anywhere except parked.

This park switch input allows the electronic logic circuits of the BCM to control all of the electronic features of
              rear wiper motor operation and to keep the motor energized long enough to complete its current wipe cycle and
              park the wiper blade at the base of the glass after the status of the rear wiper system or the ignition switch
              transitions to Off. The internal BCM circuitry pulls the park switch sense input to ground when the switch is
              open so that the microcontroller sees a ground when the wiper blade is parked.

The rear wiper motor is grounded at all times through a take out with an eyelet terminal connector in the body
              wire harness that is secured to a ground location in the passenger compartment. The automatic resetting circuit
              breaker protects the motor from overloads. The rear wiper motor transmission converts the rotary output of the
              wiper motor to the back and forth wiping motion of the rear wiper arm and blade on the liftgate glass.

The hard wired inputs and outputs of the rear wiper motor may be diagnosed using conventional diagnostic
              tools and procedures. Refer to the appropriate wiring information. However, conventional diagnostic methods
              will not prove conclusive in the diagnosis of the rear wiper motor or the electronic controls and communication
              between other modules and devices that provide some features of the rear wiper and washer system. The most
              reliable, efficient and accurate means to diagnose the rear wiper motor or the electronic controls and
              communication related to rear wiper motor operation requires the use of a diagnostic scan tool. Refer to the
              appropriate diagnostic information."
              13' Abarth

Comment

Thanks. My guess is the park switch in the motor is bad, but I am good removing it anyway. The motor was always very noisy, but I seem to recall the motor on my Sport being just as noisy. I just wish that I had all the pieces for the wiper delete kit. I ordered one from EC and it was short the cap to make it work. Ugg!

Comment

If it's missing a part won't EC fix it?

Comment

Working...
                  X