Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Boost not what it should be :(

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Boost not what it should be :(

    Ok, mods first the what’s going on and plan of attack:
    v4 intake
    chipbox with the fiat tech tune
    dv+
    turbosmart actuator
    defi boost gauge

    ok, the prob: boost maxes out at 19psi @ wot and the drops to 14 within seconds. I know it should be at 24psi at wot. Mia does stumble a bit as it drops.

    initial plan: bypass the chipbox with the plug to rule it out as a possible problem. Does anyone know what boost should be stock with sport button?

    next is checking the turbosmart to make sure all is good

    then take dv+ apart and clean and relube it. (Got to do an oil change soon anyway!)

    and of course check for boost leaks. Plan has been to get a fmic this spring anyway. So seems like I might step into one sooner.

    is there anything else that I may want to check? Or even the order in which to do them?

    thanks!


  • #2
    Your list looks like a good starting place - Did this just start happening all the sudden?
    1. what gears is this happening in? - I believe first gear is limited on boost to control burning rubber
    2. When say "stumble" does it sound like a mis-fire, rpm breakup? bucking?
    3. Checking for boost leaks on stock intercooler system - sounds like a nightmare - so many connections and pipping - FMIC will definitely hold pressure better and easier to test later on
    4. Stock PSI - I have no idea, its been so long since stock for me
    5. Turbosmart - did you add the 2mm preload? it could be cracking the wastegate to early under the boost from the tune -
    6. DV+ while better than stock - can still fail do to some stock parts integrated with it -

    Hopefully some more comments come through to help also

    Comment


    • #3
      Boost and torque...aren’t they limited/reduced in colder weather?

      ✅ the swivel fitting on the turbo-smart actuator and the seal on the diverter valve, which both have been known leaks.

      I’m not convinced this sounds like a leak though. Isn't that more inclined to produce erratic behavior and slow spool, black smoke?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by BecauseAbarth View Post
        Your list looks like a good starting place - Did this just start happening all the sudden?
        1. what gears is this happening in? - I believe first gear is limited on boost to control burning rubber
        2. When say "stumble" does it sound like a mis-fire, rpm breakup? bucking?
        3. Checking for boost leaks on stock intercooler system - sounds like a nightmare - so many connections and pipping - FMIC will definitely hold pressure better and easier to test later on
        4. Stock PSI - I have no idea, its been so long since stock for me
        5. Turbosmart - did you add the 2mm preload? it could be cracking the wastegate to early under the boost from the tune -
        6. DV+ while better than stock - can still fail do to some stock parts integrated with it -

        Hopefully some more comments come through to help also
        Thanks for the reply!

        Not sure when it started. Had a buddy ask what the top boost was on the chipbox so I wanted to see. That’s when I really noticed it... how long it had been that way not sure.

        1... seems to do it in all the gears

        2... stumbling, don’t really hear a misfire and it isn’t bucking... how to explain... for a lack of a better way to describe it, when the boost falls off it almost feels like I put a boat anker out and am dragging it behind

        3.... agreed on this one!

        4... think I found it... 18psi.

        5... set it to the video that Matt had done for the group by from the old forum... had been on the car and doing well since I bought from the second group by.

        6... I know the DV+ is better than stock but not the best ( was a gift). If I determine it to be this, what is the better option for replacement?

        on the first thing I did, bypassed the chipbox with the bypasss plug... results is I eliminated it as the culprit.... in sport mode, I only made 14psi and dropped back to 9-10psi
        Last edited by Outoway; 02-02-2020, 09:52 AM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Streetsurfer View Post
          Boost and torque...aren’t they limited/reduced in colder weather?

          ✅ the swivel fitting on the turbo-smart actuator and the seal on the diverter valve, which both have been known leaks.

          I’m not convinced this sounds like a leak though. Isn't that more inclined to produce erratic behavior and slow spool, black smoke?
          Thanks, will check those out as well. Would be nice to find out it is something simple.

          Comment


          • #6
            If you have a T and not an Abarth, 14# boost is correct.

            Do you have a real boost gauge or just the stock one?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jerseyboy View Post
              If you have a T and not an Abarth, 14# boost is correct.

              Do you have a real boost gauge or just the stock one?
              Nope Mia is an Abarth! And I do have an aftermarket depo boost gauge.

              Comment


              • #8
                First, I would reinstall the original waste gate actuator. If no change, I would pressure test the intercooler lines.

                Comment

                Working...
                X