Oil Leak due to Stripped Threads in Oil Pump -- Looking for Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak due to Stripped Threads in Oil Pump -- Looking for Advice

I went to change my oil this weekend and my heart dropped to the floor when I noticed my engine tray was soaked with oil on the right side. Upon taking it off I found for the most part the engine was dry. The only place I could find oil to be leaking out of was the oil pump, where the oil cooler mounts to it (I'm assuming that is what the finned part is called, I cannot seem to find much information on it). My hope was that as with a lot of the other bolts on my car, maybe these bolts were simply loose from the factory and over-time backed out enough to cause a sealing problem, and that was actually true. all the bolts I could access I could still tighten just a bit with my little 3" bit driver wrench (lets not get this twisted here, you're not gonna be putting massive amounts of torque out with this tool).

Where the problem starts is after tightening everything up, I noticed one bolt never really seemed to get tight, the one circled in red. After finally getting it out I found what I was fearing to be true. The bolt had absolutely ruined the aluminum threads in the oil pump. One of my mechanic friends suggested using a helicoil to get the threads back, and another suggested just barely upsizing the hole and tapping it for a new bolt. While both plans sound like they'll work, I'm afraid that this would introduce shavings into the oil system. So that's why I'm here.

The hole circled in red at the bottom of the oil cooler, does this hole directly interface with any oil, or does it just serve as a mounting hole to keep pressure on a gasket? If fixing this hole using one of my friend's methods would work without contaminating the oil I would much rather do that then go through and replace the whole oil pump assembly.

Thank for for your time and your knowledge,
    Nathan

EDIT ~ if a more high resolution picture is needed I can upload it to a third party site, just let me know
    Last edited by Albert; 01-28-2019, 10:05 AM.

Generally the factory tech will replace the whole unit. its fairly common to have a small leak from the oil cooler. I don't think that the screw taps into any channels. I would up size the thread a bit and use a up-sized screw.
    EUROCOMPULSION - PERFORMANCE ABARTH, FIAT & ALFA PARTS

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
      Generally the factory tech will replace the whole unit. its fairly common to have a small leak from the oil cooler. I don't think that the screw taps into any channels. I would up size the thread a bit and use a up-sized screw.
      I figured that would be the proper way, but a new oil pump and another oil change after just doing one is something I'd like to avoid. I appreciate your advice though and up-sizing is most likely going to be the route I'll take.

Comment

If you’re going to tap the threads to enlarge the hole and you’re worried about shavings, apply some grease to the tap. The grease will collect any shavings. Just go slow and do a little at a time, back the tap out, clean it off and apply more grease.

Comment

Just as an update, we tapped it to an M7 (don't particularly remember the pitch) and with a bolt in threads that actually exist the leaking has stopped. Thanks everyone for their help!

Comment

Originally posted by Albert View Post
            Just as an update, we tapped it to an M7 (don't particularly remember the pitch) and with a bolt in threads that actually exist the leaking has stopped. Thanks everyone for their help!
            Perfect, thanks for the update!
            EUROCOMPULSION - PERFORMANCE ABARTH, FIAT & ALFA PARTS

Comment

Working...
            X