Thoughts on Multi-Air Spring upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Dr. EngineSwap, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love LKQ"

Don't be afraid of swapping the motor. So long as you're not doing it in a borrowed garage in a record heatwave in coastal humidity right after having surgery, it's not all that bad! Everything moves out of the way so the engine just plucks right out.

If anyone needs advice, you know where to find me. If you're in the SE Texas area and need to borrow an engine hoist, lol, you know where to find me.

Like Greg, I advise swapping the motor if you had a major failure. If you have sparkly oil you are definitely risking the longterm longevity of your engine by not swapping. Also you risk that shrapnel got somewhere it shouldn't.

Comment

Originally posted by aelfwyne View Post
      "Dr. EngineSwap, or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love LKQ"

Don't be afraid of swapping the motor. So long as you're not doing it in a borrowed garage in a record heatwave in coastal humidity right after having surgery, it's not all that bad! Everything moves out of the way so the engine just plucks right out.

If anyone needs advice, you know where to find me. If you're in the SE Texas area and need to borrow an engine hoist, lol, you know where to find me.

Like Greg, I advise swapping the motor if you had a major failure. If you have sparkly oil you are definitely risking the longterm longevity of your engine by not swapping. Also you risk that shrapnel got somewhere it shouldn't.
      Thanks Alvin,

Between you, Bryan, myself and others, I think anyone that comes to this forum needing engine swap advice will be in good hands.

Greg

Comment

I really think I need to add that I see zero evidence that this is a manufacturing defect. These are essentially just valve springs used in a slightly different application. I know of no other case in the automotive world where springs of this type started to fail with this degree of regularity.

These springs are failing due to misapplication and nothing else. Now, if the manufacturer marketed these for this application, that's one thing, but that's not what happened here.

Greg

Comment

Originally posted by NGEN View Post
          I’m glad none of my local guys didn’t install these. I was approached numerous times to do it but had that feeling it wouldn’t be good. Glad I didn’t. Feel bad for those who are paying the price. Just not worth it.
          Sometimes tbe best deals of your career are the ones you don't take.
          Phase 0, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter

Comment

I’d be interested in seeing the packaging the springs are delivered in, if they’re in the manufacturer packing with P/N or spec labeled

Comment

Originally posted by Mp3Guy View Post

Sometimes tbe best deals of your career are the ones you don't take.
              Amen to that!

Comment

Originally posted by romanoaf View Post
                I’d be interested in seeing the packaging the springs are delivered in, if they’re in the manufacturer packing with P/N or spec labeled
                Mine just came loose in a padded envelope.

Comment

This batch is made properly, honest injun!!!

Who's going first?

https://www.facebook.com/24129702927...5311999207058/

Comment

Man haven't come back to this thread in a while, was a hoot of a read! Best part was Edd-- I mean "Bob" spouting nonsense. I still believe stiffer springs could benefit the multiair system based on the design (if they really are floating at high RPM), but it will take a serious amount of time before I trust these have been tested properly (in this case by the public). New batch shipping as soon as it arrives? . Anyway, not here to tell anyone how to run their business, just giving my perspective.

Comment

• Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190124_214519.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	2248 ​​​​​​Wait!
                      Phase 0, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter

Comment

• I'm not familiar with engine spring metallurgy. Are these typically notch sensitive? Are they shot peened? If so, that seems like a poor way to package them.

Comment

• I may not have said it before on this forum, but I certainly my my opinions about this known over on the 124 forum. There is no possible benefit to the multiair spring "upgrade" below 7500rpm, and there is the terrible downside of likely engine damage. Just don't do it

Greg

Comment

• Originally posted by greg@eurocompulsion View Post
                            I may not have said it before on this forum, but I certainly my my opinions about this known over on the 124 forum. There is no possible benefit to the multiair spring "upgrade" below 7500rpm, and there is the terrible downside of likely engine damage. Just don't do it

Greg
                            I made the same recommendation, entirely unaware of Greg's thoughts on this subject, on 124Spider.org, that this might have a benefit at stratospheric RPMs but does not have any benefit at the stock RPM range. I provided some very extensive technical explanations for why I felt that way.

Comment

• Originally posted by XtremeRevolution View Post

I made the same recommendation, entirely unaware of Greg's thoughts on this subject, on 124Spider.org, that this might have a benefit at stratospheric RPMs but does not have any benefit at the stock RPM range. I provided some very extensive technical explanations for why I felt that way.
                              Can you link to it? If that is allowed. I've not spent much time on the 124 forum.

Comment

• Originally posted by texanbrit View Post

Can you link to it? If that is allowed. I've not spent much time on the 124 forum.
                                I don't see why not.

There's a lot of reading to do, but you'll learn a ton about the multiair system in the process as well. Basically, at WOT, the pumping element (referred to some as the MA piston) is fully coupled to the VALVE, and therefore also exerts pressure against the VALVE SPRING. Therefore, if one were to suggest that the pumping element spring is floating, they would by extension also be claiming that the valve itself is floating since they are hydraulically connected.

Skip ahead and start on page 8 if you want the full back story:
                                https://www.124spider.org/forum/410-...tml#post462866

If you just want to the good stuff, read this post...
                                https://www.124spider.org/forum/410-...tml#post470498

...and this post...
                                https://www.124spider.org/forum/410-...tml#post470700

...and absolutely this post:
                                https://www.124spider.org/forum/410-...tml#post470748

I had actually contacted the fine folks at Southern Illinois University Carbondale via e-mail to verify my understanding of this system was correct.

Comment

Working...
                                X