Thoughts on Multi-Air Spring upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mneuman916 View Post

You know what? You're absolutely right. You offer an opposing point of view, which while I don't necessarily agree with I do respect your right and ability to share it.

Now, with that being said, I'm certainly not angry. Sarcastic, yes. But that's just my personality. What I do have very little patience for is the non stop smear tactics from a certain side of the community who has been repeatedly caught making fictitious accounts to further their agenda.

Unfortunately, I fed into "simply Bobert's" obvious trolling, thus giving him the attention he so desperately seeks. I'll entertain it no longer. People can read between the lines themselves and arrive at their own conclusions with regard to him.
    While they do look a little suspicious on the posting time
    I disagree with most people that they did not went through testing
    If you think about this logically, they had the sample springs which was custom made in a tiny order for testing, then it ran on dyno with eddie's car with no issue. hardpulls like that will destory it
    then they ordered a bigger batch but it was delivered with incorrect materials, so that part I don't think it was Tork's Fault. At least can we agree on this part, or you have a different opionon

Comment

Originally posted by klikai View Post

While they do look a little suspicious on the posting time
      I disagree with most people that they did not went through testing
      If you think about this logically, they had the sample springs which was custom made in a tiny order for testing, then it ran on dyno with eddie's car with no issue. hardpulls like that will destory it
      then they ordered a bigger batch but it was delivered with incorrect materials, so that part I don't think it was Tork's Fault. At least can we agree on this part, or you have a different opionon
      As a former purchasing manager I have to disagree. The vendor is responsible for his sourcing.
      Phase 0, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter

Comment

Originally posted by Mp3Guy View Post

As a former purchasing manager I have to disagree. The vendor is responsible for his sourcing.
        What are you talking about? In which sentence I mention it wasn't their fault?
        My only points is that people blaming them for the wrong reason. Yes they were responsible, yes they were wrong
        But it was not for "didn't go through testing" do you think they are idiots?

They are responsible for providing faulty springs

Comment

Originally posted by Mp3Guy View Post

Same for any industry, im in aerospace/defence as well. Engineering will layout requirements, vendors who say they can comply are given contracts; but there is a QA step with both the vendor and the company sourcing the parts. That’s what looks like to have been missing here

Comment

Originally posted by klikai View Post

What are you talking about? In which sentence I mention it wasn't their fault?
            My only points is that people blaming them for the wrong reason. Yes they were responsible, yes they were wrong
            But it was not for "didn't go through testing" do you think they are idiots?

They are responsible for providing faulty springs
            You then said: "so that part I don't think it was Tork's Fault."

Comment

The latest casualty on AbarthChat...

Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1548459634573.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	2072

Name:	FB_IMG_1548459641166.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	2071Click image for larger version

Name:	FB_IMG_1548459652355.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	2070

Name:	FB_IMG_1548459656075.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	2069

Comment

Wow.......

So glad I didn't jump on this ship's maiden voyage. Turned out it's the Titanic.

If I had blown a second motor, I am not quite sure what would happen, but it would probably have involved *censored censored censored censored*... Feel bad for those who have experienced engine damage from this.

Comment

Originally posted by aelfwyne View Post
                  Wow.......

So glad I didn't jump on this ship's maiden voyage. Turned out it's the Titanic.

If I had blown a second motor, I am not quite sure what would happen, but it would probably have involved *censored censored censored censored*... Feel bad for those who have experienced engine damage from this.

Name:	51142706_10157266082133470_7867090689845100544_o.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	2075

Comment

And another one...

Name:	FB_IMG_1548525581963.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	186.6 KB
ID:	2080

Name:	FB_IMG_1548518730371.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	2079

Comment

I tried to warn people about this on the 124 forum. There is no benefit to changing these springs and a lot of risk. I hope everyone who has a car that suffered internal engine damage can get it taken care of for a reasonable cost. As a minimum I would replace the Multiair brick, Cam, cam followers and valve cover.

Greg

Comment

The more I think of this, the more absurd it is.

Out of all the power mods you could make, most of them are conventional, things people have done for years. Intake, tune, cam, a few turbo tweaks. Things most people know and understand and know they'll see some improvement out of.

Coming from an age of carburetors and headers, I'm not really up on the latest stuff. To me, it's a miracle how you can program an ECU and get more horsepower without resorting to oversized pistons, or 1200 cfm Holleys.

But this piece was weird stuff. You're not blueprinting a 427 cu. in. L89, kids.

Even if it didn't break, I have no idea how this stupid $2.00 key ring was supposed to make a difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuttlefish View Post
                          I just saw a video of someone installing upgraded springs for the Multi-Air 1.4. They're made by Tork so I'm scared they might blow up the engine*. Anyone else have any experiences with them?

*FWIW, I have never purchased a Tork product or dealt with them in any way. That joke was based purely off comments in other forums about the reputation of their tunes.
                          This post made on Nov 2 2018 now seems quite prophetic.

Sadly, quite a few people have had to learn what some of us already knew. Now that the damage is done hopefully this can all be cleaned up with minimal cost.

For people with more serious damage, I strongly suggest replacing the engine. This isn't as bad as it sounds. In the case of the 500 Abarth, used engines are plentiful and can be found with 30 or 40k miles on them ffrom around 1k, figure about 1500 delivered. Based on the last time I checked pricing for parts, a new Multiair brick, valve cover, cam, all new cam followers and other hardware is going to run up over 2000 pretty quickly. So I think an engine swap will be cheaper, easier and just better. It takes 1 to 1.5 days to remove the engine working by yourself and going slowly. It takes about the same amount of time to put it back in. You could do the top end in slightly less time, but not much, and that's if you don't have head damage. If you do, the numbers heavily favor the engine swap.

If you do decide to repair the existing engine, please watch out for metal particles that have worked their way into the oil pan. I would remove the pan and clean out everything you can. Just one missed piece of metal can spell doom for the engine, and the shards of aluminum can't be picked up with a magnet, so you have to search for them manually. This is part of the reason I think you are better off just replacing the engine.

For a 500 Abarth, you can used a Dart or 500L motor, you will just have to swap a few external parts, and it's not a big deal.

Now, for the 124 crowd, it's a little more complex. Thankfully, I don't know of any non vendor owned 124s that suffered this fate. Swapping engines in a 124 might be a bit more complex. I say might because I haven't actually done it, but it looks like it's more difficult. Plus, I am not sure about interchangeability with the 500. We know all the manifolding is different, but I'm not sure about the attachment points for the motor mounts or the bellhousing. There could be differences, and if so, that complicates the used engine search.

in any case, if you are in this boat and our customer or not, I'll be here to help as best I can.

Greg

Comment

Oh my god. I'm glad I didn't order these. Regardless if it's the manufacturer's fault or not, at the end of the day you have a a car you paid a lot of money for that you cannot drive. Most of these cars are not weekend cars, they are daily drivers. The engine is basically destroyed and now you have to find some way to pay out of pocket (and possibly you hope) get reimbursed later. Holy crap. I feel so bad for the people going through this. I know what it's like to have a vehicle down and out of your control for an extended period of time. This affects people like not being able to get to work easily, thousands of dollars immediately out the window plus the problem of finding another engine or waiting for one to arrive and time to put it in.

Regardless of what "side" you take here, Tork was the one marketing these and should be the one replacing engines and figure out how to get his cash back from the manufacturer. What a crap situation to be in. I really hope no one gets shafted with repairs bills. I really don't.

Comment

I’m glad none of my local guys didn’t install these. I was approached numerous times to do it but had that feeling it wouldn’t be good. Glad I didn’t. Feel bad for those who are paying the price. Just not worth it.

Comment

Another one bites the dust. (posted on Abarthchat)

Name:	FB_IMG_1548728863797.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	2114

Name:	FB_IMG_1548728869089.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	2113

Comment

Working...