Thoughts on Multi-Air Spring upgrade

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thoughts on Multi-Air Spring upgrade

I just saw a video of someone installing upgraded springs for the Multi-Air 1.4. They're made by Tork so I'm scared they might blow up the engine*. Anyone else have any experiences with them?

*FWIW, I have never purchased a Tork product or dealt with them in any way. That joke was based purely off comments in other forums about the reputation of their tunes.

I have mixed feelings about the springs.

Changing the spring rate sounds iffy, but maybe with more power and higher revs that's what is needed. I can certainly see that the OEM springs might be variable quality and a matched set of springs feels like a good thing.

In summary, I don't know but I'm very tempted.

Comment

I just saw the video in my You Tube feed as well. Very little detail offered on the parts themselves, and a bit skimpy on particulars. Then the customer tries it out in a torrential downpour
      Tork seems have made a lot of enemies.
      Phase 0, Rear Konis, Neu-f rear bar, El Gato Braces, Craven shifter

Comment

The owner of Tork can be a bit abrasive, which puts some off.

Their tuning has a reputation as been aggressive, and perhaps not as safe as others, for example raising the rev limiter to dangerous levels.

I've never heard of them ripping anybody off or selling bad products, and they've been around this community for a long time.

I wouldn't have a problem buying from them.

Comment

Originally posted by texanbrit View Post
          Their tuning has a reputation as been aggressive, and perhaps not as safe as others, for example raising the rev limiter to dangerous levels.

I've never heard of them ripping anybody off or selling bad products, and they've been around this community for a long time.
          That's mostly what I've heard. Again, I didn't mean to imply that they make shoddy products, rather their demographic is more for racers who want to squeeze every last drop of power out of these little cars even if it means blowing something up and having to replace the engine/transmission. There's nothing wrong with making products for that market, in fact I'm glad that market exists because it generally results in better stuff trickling down. My car is a daily driver, however, and I can't afford to be that aggressive with my build.

Mainly, I was wondering if these springs are suitable for daily driving or if this is a track-car-only kind of deal.

Comment

I wouldn't do it to a car I relied on, at least until people have run them for a while.

Comment

I don't see any benefit and I haven't seen ANY explanation of benefit using stiffer springs in a hydraulically controlled system.

As far as power output, I haven't seen any more power that what we have produced. As far as personality, reputation I wont comment on that.
              EUROCOMPULSION - PERFORMANCE ABARTH, FIAT & ALFA PARTS

Comment

You need stiffer valve springs to prevent “valve float” at higher rpms. I’ve yet to see any evidence showing this to be an issue in the 1.4l multiair. Save your money!

Comment

• Silver
                  Silver commented
                  Editing a comment
                  These are not valve springs we are talking about! Just sayin

I bought a set anyway. You know, for science

Comment

I bought a set for my 124 in case it turns out they are the greatest thing ever, but John's switched attention to tuning Seat Leons or something and they become pixie dust. I will, however, wait for a few more beta-testers to come forward before I fit them.

Some of the horsepower claims I've seen seem difficult to believe - yet to see actual dyno results from anything other than Eddie's sick car.
                  He's not the Messiah

2017 124 Abarth 6MT Forte Black
                  Forge Recirculating BOV
                  Eurocompulsion stuff - V4.1 Intake, Oil catch can, Intercooler
                  Autoricambi / Tork Phase 1
                  PTP Turbo Blanket
                  Alfa 4C Coils
                  Complete collection of incredibly overpriced OEM alcantara trim pieces
                  Ameridan's fabulous ICE tweaks
                  SoundDeadenerShowdown CLD tiles in trunk
                  SigmaKore ceramic coating

Comment

They made another video with dyno results. Not completely scientific since it was a different day and different tune.

Comment

I've been following these springs and am super curious if they turn out to be worth it.
                      EC Phase 2 Tune
                      EC Skid Plate
                      EC FMIC
                      Forge BOV
                      EC 4.1 Intake
                      Neu-F Rear Torsion Bar
                      Neu-F Front Sway Bar
                      Alfa 4C Coil Packs
                      EC Catch Can
                      EC Pedal Pro
                      El Gato Chassis Braces
                      Brisk Racing Plugs
                      EC 'City Lights' Engine Cover
                      StopTech Drilled/Slotted Rotors
                      Hawk Street 5.0 pads
                      Neu-F Brake Lines

Comment

I was curious about these as well. I'm not sure I want to start ripping the top of the engine apart and replacing springs before we get some more results from others.

If they do really make more power, 5-15hp then the money and time vs power output does seem worth it, especially if they work with any existing EC flash tunes. If you need a retune or it is just not beneficial, it's a small waste of money but more importantly a waste of time and taking the top of the engine apart for no reason.

I'll hold off for now even though I'm itching to try these out. My fear is also what happens if one of the springs break from a manufacturing defect or similar? Would this cause any damage? I mean, this could happen with the OEM springs too but just curious. I'm getting to a point where I just want to leave the car alone and enjoy it without issues lol. Maybe I'm getting old.

Comment

Originally posted by BoostedAbarth View Post
                          I was curious about these as well. I'm not sure I want to start ripping the top of the engine apart and replacing springs before we get some more results from others.

If they do really make more power, 5-15hp then the money and time vs power output does seem worth it, especially if they work with any existing EC flash tunes. If you need a retune or it is just not beneficial, it's a small waste of money but more importantly a waste of time and taking the top of the engine apart for no reason.

I'll hold off for now even though I'm itching to try these out. My fear is also what happens if one of the springs break from a manufacturing defect or similar? Would this cause any damage? I mean, this could happen with the OEM springs too but just curious. I'm getting to a point where I just want to leave the car alone and enjoy it without issues lol. Maybe I'm getting old.
                          I hear ya! When you have everything just right, sometimes you just want to leave things alone.... which usually doesn’t last very long lol

Comment

Here's my singular concern with this "upgrade".

There was no long term testing. No inspection for worn/damaged parts over time. No small, controlled sample of vehicles that had these installed for months over thousands of miles to check for potential longevity issues.

Nope, just "Hey lets throw in some stiffer springs and see what happens. Oh look, they did something! Let's SELL 'EM!"

Who cares it's adding additional stress to the multiair brick. Maybe they're safe. Maybe they aren't. Just understand if you buy these you're alpha testing them on your car and your dime.

Comment

Working...
                            X