Clear All

• jerseyboy
    replied
    What drone? They run pretty quiet

Leave a comment:

• Kuttlefish
    replied
    Originally posted by jerseyboy View Post
    I've been very happy with the BFG b-force comp as. Good grip dry and wet and I seem to be getting good tread life.
    What's the drone like on the BFG's?

Leave a comment:

• StephenD
    replied
    I have Continental extreme contact DWS 06 and love them, Great traction and quite. I even put a set on my wife's car I like them so much.

Leave a comment:

• jerseyboy
    replied
    I've been very happy with the BFG b-force comp as. Good grip dry and wet and I seem to be getting good tread life.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMirage
    replied
    I’m basing my opinions on the V rated. While I am running the Phase 1, I didn’t configure my tune to remove the speed limiter, so reaching the speed limits of the tires is not a concern for me.

Leave a comment:

• Kuttlefish
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMirage View Post
    Looking at the list of available tire sizes for the Michelin, all but one set are the higher spec’d V rating. The only set H rated I saw is a 235/40R18, something that won’t fit our cars.
    Right, but what I was trying to ask is if the V rated tire the same thing as the the W or Y rated tire (which is what most of the Sport A/S3+ tires are rated at). I don't think I can realistically push the Abarth beyond the limits of a V rated tire, I'm just wondering if your basing your opinions on the same tires or the higher spec W's or Y's? And if you are more familiar with W's or Y's, will the V's be of the same quality or are there other factors I should be worried about? I guess that didn't come across.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMirage
    replied
    Originally posted by bsd103 View Post

Living in the snow belt I can only describe their winter performance as dangerous. I was a little slow on putting my winter set on a few times and slid a good 100ft trying to stop from 20mph... They're definitely better than running a summer or a cheapo all season, but their winter performance is trash especially in low temperatures (25F or less)
    If you live in an area with regular harsh winters, a winter tire will be the better addition to invest in. But for those that don’t get as many bad winter storms or very mild winters, they are a good set to own.

Here in Maryland, we do get a bad snow storm from time to time (especially so when you consider how well MDOT handles taking care of the roads, or lack there of) and it can get pretty cold, colder than some might realize. But the frequency in which we get these storms isn’t regular enough (yet) for me to invest in a separate set of winters. Although, some of the storms we have had in recent years have made me strongly consider the option.

I have found the compound on the Sport A/S3+ to not harden as badly as some of the other all seasons I have owned. Eagle’s were the worst (both RSAs and LS2s) and downright scary, even in warm, wet weather. Those only handled well when it was dry. On top of that, they were noisy and nearly impossible to properly balance (causing excessive vibration, even after a road force balance). Stupid OEM tires...what were they thinking?!?

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMirage
    replied
    Looking at the list of available tire sizes for the Michelin, all but one set are the higher spec’d V rating. The only set H rated I saw is a 235/40R18, something that won’t fit our cars.

Leave a comment:

• Mp3Guy
    replied
    I'm not an expert on tires, but I don't think it's wise to down spec the speed rating. It's not just about a speed threshold. The tire's carcass is designed to handle stress levels across all kinds of conditions.

Leave a comment:

• Kuttlefish
    replied
    I'm not worried about snow and ice, I'm in New Orleans. It does get down to the 40's during the winter otherwise I'd run summer tires year round.

I was thinking about the 205's more for sidewall than width (and yes I know the 205 is measuring the width). 195/50R16 would also work, but that's kind of a goofy size without a whole lot of good options, though it does add a Firestone Firehawk to the mix.

So do y'all have experience with the lower rated H and V michelins which are available in this size or you basing your opinions on the higher rated versions? I'm not worried about the limits (I had it floored in phase 2 on straight away and it topped out around 145-150mph), I'm just wondering if they're different quality tires.

Leave a comment:

• bsd103
    replied
    Originally posted by VirtualMirage View Post
    The Michelin’s have been some of my better all season tires when it comes to snow and ice. I’m basing my experience on having owned Michelin Pilot Exalto, Sport AS3 as well as these Sport AS3+ across three different cars and around 12-13 years of using them vs the Goodyear’s, Eagle’s, Falken’s, and Pirelli’s that we’re on the same vehicles.

Granted a good winter tire will always outshine an all season tire in snow and ice, but these Michelin’s have managed to hold their own in inclement weather when you can only have one tire.
    Living in the snow belt I can only describe their winter performance as dangerous. I was a little slow on putting my winter set on a few times and slid a good 100ft trying to stop from 20mph... They're definitely better than running a summer or a cheapo all season, but their winter performance is trash especially in low temperatures (25F or less)

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMirage
    replied
    The Michelin’s have been some of my better all season tires when it comes to snow and ice. I’m basing my experience on having owned Michelin Pilot Exalto, Sport AS3 as well as these Sport AS3+ across three different cars and around 12-13 years of using them vs the Goodyear’s, Eagle’s, Falken’s, and Pirelli’s that we’re on the same vehicles.

Granted a good winter tire will always outshine an all season tire in snow and ice, but these Michelin’s have managed to hold their own in inclement weather when you can only have one tire.

Leave a comment:

• bsd103
    replied
    If you're going up to a 205 for the 'extra grip', don't. Those michelins in a 195 are going to beat anything else you mount in a 205/45R16, plain and simple. They are NOT good winter tires though if you get any amount of snow and ice. No all season is, and these in particular are much more performance oriented and suffer in winter driving.

Leave a comment:

• Kuttlefish
    replied
    I currently have stock 17's but I'm getting rota f500's which are 16x7 (a little wider than stock 16s). Bumping up to 205 is pretty common since the circumference and diameter have a less than 1% difference from 205/40R17 (but with a much bigger sidewall). I believe the speedometer and odometer are optimized for 17" wheels as well, but I could be wrong about that.

I'm about 90% certain I want to go with 205/45R16, I'm just seeing if anyone has experience with what's available in that size.

Leave a comment:

• VirtualMirage
    replied
    Originally posted by Kuttlefish View Post
    Are you both running 17" wheels? I don't think Michelin makes the all season version in 205/45/16
    16” tires on the Abarth, stock, are 195/45R16, not 205 (17” are 205s stock, 205/40R17).

Michelin does make the size mentioned above for 16”, just confirmed on Tire Rack. There is also a $70 mail in rebate offer for the Michelin tires too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X