Big Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Tires

Hey guys, I live in the Santa Cruz mountains and drive a 17 mile route twice a day similar to The Dragon. I’ve already put 205 Potenzas on and I’m still sliding around. I want to hear what the largest tire combos you’ve put on are and how they affected you ride.

Im interested in widening my stance and understand I’ll need some camber to accommodate. I’ve already lowered it 2” but will most likely throw new coil-overs on there with the wider tires. I plan on rolling the fenders and trying to put 235-245’s up front and 255-275’s in the rear.

Does this seem absolutely crazy? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’m already running the EC ED P2+ P&B and will jump to P3 with the new turbo and cam, so I should have enough torque to get those puppies moving.

215s are a safe size to run, once you start going into 225+ you will start seeing some rubbing concerns. You really need to get everything setup and see what you can run with the car finished as far as the suspension. Save the tires for last.
    EUROCOMPULSION - PERFORMANCE ABARTH, FIAT & ALFA PARTS

Comment

Why are you considering bigger tires on the rear?

Comment

[email protected]retrophit Thanks, Chris. What is you’re favorite setup to date?

Retrophit, I keep sliding too much going through corners on CA Hwy 236 and Bear Creek Road top to bottom. Already running the 2” eibach lowering springs and 28mm torsion bar. I’d like a wider and larger footprint to keep me planted in the corners.

Comment

Originally posted by NorCal_Abarth View Post
          [email protected]retrophit Thanks, Chris. What is you’re favorite setup to date?

Retrophit, I keep sliding too much going through corners on CA Hwy 236 and Bear Creek Road top to bottom. Already running the 2” eibach lowering springs and 28mm torsion bar. I’d like a wider and larger footprint to keep me planted in the corners.
          Ok real talk though. Running a thicker rear torsion bar is going to increase the rear slip angle which will make the rear more likely to slide. Running lowering springs, while lowering the center of gravity slightly, is going to affect your alignment, and in particular reduce your dynamic camber, so in a turn it is less likely your outside tire is maximizing its contact patch - again, making you more likely to slide. There are maximal configurations for a given vehicle (but the Abarths don't have much for camber and caster adjustability), but I find a lot of guys just haphazardly buy these 'upgrades' without fully understanding how they affect the handling and dynamics. I'm not saying you did anything wrong here, but your modifications seem contrary to your goal. If you want to reduce slip the best upgrade is alignment tuning and tire compound. Tire width can help a little, but not nearly as much as you might think - not for what you can reasonably fit on these cars (and you will also potentially change the steering feel in a way you might not like).

Comment

Working...
          X